Director of Nursing Surgical II
Essential Job Responsibilities/Expectations
1. Job responsibilities include those listed in the competency document.
2. Maintains a professional image and exhibits excellent customer relations to patients, visitors, physicians, and co – workers in accordance with our Service Excellence Standards and Core Values.
3. Shall demonstrate leadership and commitment with respect to the quality management system by: a) Promoting the use of the process approach and risk-based thinking: b) Engaging, directing and supporting persons to contribute to the effectiveness of the quality management system requirements; c) Promoting improvement.
4. Manages daily operation of the Surgery II Unit effectively and efficiently.
5. Demonstrates competence in recruiting, interviewing, selecting, and hiring staff to meet the needs of the patient population and Surgery II Unit.
6. Demonstrates competence in all fiscal aspects of the Surgery II Unit.
7. Demonstrates continued growth and development in leadership skills including: delegation, mentoring, fostering professional practices and setting an example by living the core values of caring, integrity, person, and quality.
8. Competently manages physician and employee related complaints, issues and concerns to optimize the work environment.
9. Fosters interdepartmental and collaborative relationships.
10. Demonstrates competency and assumes responsibility for development, implementation and review of on-going quality patient care and service delivery plan 24 hours per day including fiscal responsibility, quality outcomes, and nursing growth and development using ongoing Evidence Based Practices specific, but not limited to, the Surgery II Unit. This will be demonstrated through, but not limited to, the following (refer to McLeod Regional Medical Center Nursing Director New Hire Competency):
• Employee Engagement Expectations
• Independent Policy Review • Personnel File Review
• Assigned McLeod University Classes
* Yearly Primary Tasks/Events by Calendar
• Access Control Applications for the Surgery II Unit • Identifying and Accessing Resources for the Surgery II Unit
11. Oversees staff responsible for performing nursing care in, but not limited to, the Surgery II Unit. Duties can include but are not limited to (refer to McLeod Health Nursing, MST, and Secretary Competencies A, B, and C):
• Emergency Management
• Patient Safety Initiatives
• Patient Satisfaction Initiatives
• Patient Privacy
• Patient Education
• Handoff/Bedside Report
• Electronic Medical Record Documentation
• Carrying out Physician Orders
• Admission, Discharge, and Transfer of Patients
• Patients’ Full System Assessment(s) and Reassessment(s)
• Medication Administration.
• Blood and Blood products
• Waive Testing
• Infection Control Precautions
• Prevention and care of Hospital Acquired Conditions.
• Caring for patients with, but not limited to, the following unit specific tasks, needs and/or conditions: Daily Patient Ambulation, ERAS, Gastric drains, nephrostomy tubes, G tube, J tube, Continuous Bladder Irrigation (CBI) Bladder scanner, Urology supplies, Epidural Catheters, Lift Equipment, CHG Baths, Chest tube dressing changes, and Wound Vacs.
12. Is knowledgeable of local, state and national agency standards incorporating the standards into everyday functionality . Such as: LLR – Scope of Practices, DNV, OSHA, DHEC, etc.
• Minimum 1-year nursing experience
• BSN Prepared Nurse
• Must possess a valid SC license- RN, BLS
Physical Requirements: Refer to Occupational Risk Assessment
Florence, SC, United States