Performs semi-skilled work in the maintenance, care, and modification of hospital grounds and
landscapes which includes the operation of electrically-powered and gasoline-powered grounds keeping
equipment and machines, and the use of small hand and power tools or equipment in planting, cultivating,
and trimming grounds and landscaping.
* Performs tasks common to the care of grounds and landscapes by seeding, watering, mulching, fertilizing,
weeding, and applying chemicals to outside plantings, lawns and turf, as well as inspecting plant materials
for insects, disease, physical and mechanical damage and identifying replacements; transplanting,
pruning, trimming, and cultivating trees, shrubs, ground cover, and flowers.
* Performs regular and directed grounds and landscape maintenance by mowing lawns with riding or push
mowers; trimming and edging around trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, sidewalks and buildings;
weeding, thinning and cleaning flower beds and other grounds by hand or utilizing proper tools and
equipment; and setting up, adjusting, repairing, and cleaning irrigation systems.
* Removes unsightly trash and debris from public areas by regularly inspecting grounds, drains, manhole
covers, etc., for debris; raking, sweeping and bagging leaves, debris, dirt and trash from streets, sidewalks,
and parking lots, and transporting the trash to designated central collection points on a daily basis.
* Safely operates light vehicles such as pick-up trucks, tractors, street sweepers, riding mowers, and
portable power tools and equipment such as saws, grass trimmers, snow/leaf blowers, sprayers, paint
machines and other groundskeeping equipment by obeying applicable traffic laws and following operator
instructions, and wearing appropriate safety items such as goggles, gloves, or other appropriate protective
* Performs routine maintenance on groundskeeping equipment and tools, makes minor repairs (within
demonstrated capability) as directed.
* Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, and streamline work
* Works cooperatively and jointly with others to provide quality seamless customer service.
* Reports completed and ongoing tasks to Supervisor on daily or otherwise prescribed basis.
* Requires the ability to access facilities and areas which may only be accessible by climbing stairs or by
climbing ladders to a height of 15 feet (e.g., for tree trimming).
* Requires the ability to move throughout assigned areas, as the work is performed primarily out-of-doors,
* Employees in this job title are designated as essential employees and must report to work as scheduled
when facilities or medical offices buildings are closed due or impacted by severe weather.
* Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills
to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
* Contributes to the overall success of the Grounds Department by performing all other related duties as assigned. * Performs job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description
Work Schedule:80 hours bi-weekly
* One (1) year of experience in landscape maintenance or related work.
* Acceptable, valid state driver’s license
* A minimum of a high school diploma or the equivalent is required.