- Shall demonstrate leadership and commitment with respect to the quality management system by:
(a) promoting the use of the process approach and risk-based thinking
(b) engaging, directing and supporting persons to contribute to the effectiveness of the quality management system requirements
(c) promoting improvement
- Overall responsibility for the corporate risk management program, including oversight of the McLeod Health incident reporting system database.
- Prepare periodic reports of trends and issues for all facilities.
- Assist AVP’s of Quality & Safety and Clinical Risk Managers in the investigation of incidents and complaints to include chart reviews, staff interviews and collecting surveillance video.
- Assist outside legal counsel with discovery requests and depositions for litigation involving McLeod. Gather, prepare and transmit documents and information to outside legal counsel when appropriate. Coordinate McLeod witnesses for interviews, depositions and trials.
- Prepare legal pleadings, letters and releases as needed.
- Appear in Court, as needed.
- Communicate with patients, family members and visitors regarding claims asserted against McLeod for injuries and damages, as well as grievances and complaints.
- Communicate and coordinate with McLeod’s liability insurance carriers, to include preparation of Notices of Loss and providing assistance to McLeod’s insurance adjusters.
- Process all new legal pleadings, subpoenas and other documents that are served on the corporation and/or McLeod employees.
- Prepares reports to regulatory agencies, including CMS and SC DHEC.
- Provide legal advice to McLeod staff. Physicians and Medical Staffs regarding risk management.
- Provide education to staff and physicians on risk management and legal topics.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned from time to time.
- This is not an exhaustive list and McLeod Health reserves the right to revise the job summary and/or require that different or additional tasks be performed when circumstances change or workload dictates.
Five (5) years legal experience required, litigation experience preferred along with experience in healthcare law, medical malpractice and general liability claims
Juris Doctorate (JD) Degree
Active Law License for State of South Carolina
Certified Professional in Healthcare Risk Management (CPHRM) a Plus
Florence, SC, United States