LPN – Neurology Floor
- Maintains a professional image and exhibits excellent customer relations to patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers in accordance with our Service Excellence Standards and Core Values.
- Plans individualized nursing care to meet the holistic age specific needs of patients of, but not limited to, the NeurologyUnit with oversight by RN.
- Provides appropriate nursing interventions, consistent with the Plan of Care and standards of practice, incorporating the Physician’s prescribed medical plans of care with oversight by the RN.
- Using Service Excellence standards, conducts hourly rounds.
- Fosters an environment that demonstrates caring, compassion, and respect for all patients, families and visitors.
- Utilizes appropriate health and safety equipment to protect both patient and staff.
- Utilizes standard work in caring for central lines, foley catheters, pressure ulcers, ventilators (if applicable to unit), restraints and patients at risk for falls.
- Contributes to the overall performance of the department through the precepting of novice employees.
- Contributes to the department growth and performance through hospital system initiatives cultivating nursing involved Evidence Based Practices.
- Demonstrates competency in, but not limited to, the following on the Neurology Unit with oversight by the RN (refer to McLeod Health Nursing Competencies A, B, and C):
- Following all new hire expectations for, but not limited to, the Neurology Unit.
- Following unit expectations around scheduling.
- Emergency Management: Fire Safety, Evacuation, Environment of Care, Hazardous Materials/Safety Data Sheets, Emergency Codes, Security Alerts, and Survey Readiness.
- Identifying resources, understanding the role of the resource(s), and the ability to contact the resource for needs of the unit: Patient Care Supervisor (PCS), Clinical Nurse Manager (CNM), Nurse Educator, Equipment/House Tech, Nursing Supervisor, Patient Representative, Guest House, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Pastoral Services, Nutrition Services (Dietician), PICC Team, Documentation Integrity Specialist, RN Case Manager, Social Worker, Pharmacy, Palliative Care, Diabetes Educator, and Security.
- Patient Satisfaction Initiatives: Hourly Rounds, GET IT scripting, Service Recovery, and Communication Boards
- Performing Patient Safety Initiatives including: Patient Identification, Effective Communication, Labeled Specimens, Clinical Alarms, Healthcare Related Infections, and Universal Protocol.
- Initiating Core Measures (Online Ticket to Ride): Definition, Documentation, Nursing responsibilities, Admission/Discharge.
- Utilizing the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) for: Census/assigning patients; Computer Provider Order Entry (CPOE); Ongoing Review and Acknowledgement of new orders; Verifying and completing orders; Review results, labs, Clinical Summary, and dictations; and Critical Results.
- Nursing Handoff in Care/Bedside Report: Nursing Expectations, Document review, Review completing patient handoff, and Hemodialysis consent and handoff in care.
- Maintaining Patient Privacy with the Patient Record/Patient Information: HIPAA, Security of medical records, Patient Safety, Plan-of-Care, Education Assessment, and RN versus LPN Nursing Responsibilities.
- Providing Patient Education: Lexicomp Patient Education Leaflets, Patient Education/Discharge Folder, Obtains patient education channels at bedside, Teach back methodology, and Nursing Reference Center.
- Utilizes Downtime Toolkit when applicable.
- Reconciling and Administering Patient Medication in accordance to policies and procedures.
- Utilizing standard work for: Venipunctures, Blood Cultures, Blood Bank Bandings, and Capillary Collections.
- Administering Blood and Blood products in accordance to policies and procedures.
- Performs Waived Testing in accordance to policy and procedure.
- Utilizing Improve the Process.
- Applying and Documenting Patient Restraints and Seclusion in accordance to policy and procedure.
- Utilizing and performing Code Management: Crash Cart/Rapid Response/End of Life.
- Utilizing Infection Control Precautions: Airborne, Droplet, Aplasia Precautions, and Contact I, II, and III as well as performing appropriate donning and doffing.
- Caring for patients with, but not limited to, the following unit specific tasks, needs and/or conditions: Myasthenia Gravis, Parkinsons, Alzheimers, Dementia, ALS, CIPD, Multiple Sclerosis, Transverse Myelitis, Optic Neuritis, Epileptic Seizures, Stroke, Paraplegia and Quadriplegia, and Gillian Barre Syndrome.
- Performing Preventative care for Hospital Acquired Conditions, including but not limited to: Falls, CAUTI, and CLABSI.
- Demonstrates continued professional growth through setting goals and participating in educational offerings.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- 1 year of related work experience
- Must possess a valid SC license – LPN, BLS
Florence, SC, United States