Medical Assistant (PRN), PRN Pool
1. Maintains a professional image and exhibits excellent customer relations to patients, visitors, physicians, and co-
workers in accordance with our Service Excellence Standards and Core Values.
2. Assists the physician in assessing the needs of patients based on data collected through history, observation,
physical exam, telephone triage and analysis of diagnostic data:
a) Performs direct patient care, i.e. triage, assessment, procedures, treatments, patient education, discharge and follow-
up instructions. Prepares patient to be seen by physician.
b) Formulates the initial database by systematically collecting pertinent information through communication with
patient and family, observation and objective evaluation. This includes vital signs, history, and chief complaint,
and documentation of all relevant information in the patient’s chart.
c) Records database in patient’s medical record as appropriate.
d) Performs specialized tests such as audiometry, electrocardiography, inhalation treatments, and selected laboratory
procedures as needed in practices.
e) Prepares medications and gives injections as ordered by the physician.
f) Assists physician with treatments and procedures as needed.
g) Provides for patient education appropriate to the situation.
h) Schedules testing and referral appointments for patients per physician instructions.
i) Consults with patient on telephone calls whether addressing the problem or referring the call to the physician.
j) Performs follow-up calls to patients as necessary.
3. Performs other duties necessary in providing high quality patient care:
a) Cleans and straightens examination rooms between patients according to OSHA standards.
b) Keeps all necessary instruments clean and in examination rooms.
c) Sets up and maintains equipment and immediately notifies the physician office manager or appropriate personnel of
d) Maintains medical supply inventory, checks expiration dates on drugs and vaccines and disposes of outdated
medications. Orders all medical supplies and assists drug representatives as needed.
e) Develops and maintains a working knowledge of all equipment needed to perform duties.
f) Schedules and reschedules appointments as necessary.
4. Possesses skills and abilities required in a multifaceted environment in addition to those relating to nursing:
a) Promotes a climate conducive to learning through encouragement of co-worker’s formal and informal continuing
b) Actively participates in departmental QA projects. Promotes the practice mission and philosophy.
c) Promotes the practice by projecting a positive image.
d) Demonstrates a willingness to perform the duties of other department personnel when workload require
5. Greets patients and visitors and handles incoming telephone calls in a friendly and courteous manner:
a) Greets patients and visitors in a friendly and pleasant manner.
b) Maintains confidentiality in talking to patients, upholding policies and setting an example.
6. Responsible for timely and accurate patient registration, check-in and check-out:
a) Review and confirm electronic chart for any updating information that is needed.
b) Notifies the patient if physician is not running on time and lets them know how long the wait will be.
c) Schedules appointments or re-appointments.
d) Collecting of co-pay.
e) Confirms proper completion of patient registration forms and other required forms.
7. Other duties as assigned:
· At least three months experience in physician’s office or other clinical setting.
· Computer skills
· Must possess Certified or Registered Certification for Medical Assistant.
· Minimum of a High School Diploma/Equivalent from an accredited school
Florence, SC, United States