Surgical Technician Extern – Labor & Delivery (PRN)
- Must be flexible, punctual, and be willing to learn in the surgical environment
- Ensures the availability and preparedness of OR rooms, supplies and equipment needed to support efficient and effective perioperative processes.
- Responsible for having sterile instruments, sutures and equipment necessary for the surgical procedure, along with a working knowledge of each device
- Assist with positioning and prepping according to the standards of practice and policies and procedures of the department and the hospital
- Performs initial instrument, sharps and sponge counts with the circulator and performs additional counts as necessary
- Assists with draping the patient and establishing the sterile field.
- Participates in the surgical site and patient verification during the time out procedure.
- Required to maintain the sterile field to ensure patient/employee safety by maintaining highest standard of sterile technique during the procedure
- Prepares and passes off specimen(s) as appropriate.
- Assist in lifting, turning, positioning and preparing patients for surgical procedures, using proper body mechanics
- Assist in maintaining a clean and safe environment.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization.
- Assists other members of the team with terminal cleaning of room
- Uses standard precautions and appropriate personal protective equipment when working around or handling hazardous substances, including blood and body fluids.
- Performs other position-related duties as assigned, depending on assignment setting
Job Type: PRN; as needed; as scheduled
Preferred Qualifications/Education / Experience Requirements
- A student of an accredited program of surgical technology who has completed at least 2 semesters
Licenses and/or Certifications:
- BLS certified
- Must obtain Certification through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) with in a 6 months of graduating
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds and carry up to 25 pounds occasionally, will involve some stooping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling, pushing and pulling with frequent standing and walking; requires manual dexterity with ability to perceive size, shape, temperature or texture; auditory and visual required with attention to verbal abilities and color discrimination
Florence, SC, United States