Unit Secretary – Orthopedics / PRN as needed (evening shift 3p-11p)
The Unit Secretary is a member of the interdisciplinary health care team, serving as receptionist and providing clerical support to all caregivers. The unit secretary supports the direct care duties of care givers through the coordination of MD orders, obtaining supplies, and information and assisting families, visitors, and Physicians.
- Job responsibilities include those listed in the competency document.
- Maintains a professional image and exhibits excellent customer relations to patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers in accordance with our Service Excellence Standards and Core Values.
- Recognizes the normal signs (growth and development of aging) of the patient population indicated above and understands the requirements of assessment, treatment, and care of the specific age group(s).
- Performs receptionist duties in a manner that is customer and patient oriented.
- Organizes the patient records to include: assembly of the chart, physician orders, admission and discharge duties.
- Demonstrates continued professional growth to oneself and the department.
- Understands and recognizes appropriate storage and safety of medications such as (large volume IV’s, alcohol, saline, medications in prepackaged kits).
- Utilizes appropriate health and safety equipment to protect both patient and staff.
- Maintains and organizes inventory of supplies.
- Identifies and communicates appropriate patient data to members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Recognizes potential or real problems as they arise, presents workable solutions, and participates in their implementation as a contributing member of the healthcare team.
- Fosters an environment that demonstrates caring, compassion and respect for all patients, families and visitors.
- Demonstrates competency in, but not limited to, the following on the Ortho/Neurosurgery Unit (refer to McLeod Health Organizational Learning Secretary Competency Checklist):
- Assigned Access Control Applications
- Emergency Management
- Infection Control/Precautions
Work Schedule: PRN; as needed as scheduled. Primary Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday’s from 3:00pm to 11:00pm; days may vary.
Skills Required: Minimum of a High school diploma or equivalent from an accredited school.
Qualifications/Training: Minimum of one year secretarial experience.
Department Description: Orthopedics/Neurosurgery – 46 beds; Total hips and knees, fractures, trauma, pain therapy; neurosurgery
Florence, SC, United States