VP of Pharmacy
The Vice President of Pharmacy Services is responsible for coordinating pharmacy programs across McLeod Health and to help facilitate the continuing journey towards Systemness with sustained improvement in patient outcomes, financial performance, and efficiencies in pharmacy operations.
- Responsible for overseeing corporate contract negotiation for competitive advantage with wholesale pharmaceutical manufacturers, distributors, and group purchasing organizations for all McLeod Health facilities.
- Coordinates revenue enhancement opportunities (J Codes, billing units/mark-up, retail order, sales, and other revenue services).
- Financial oversight of the pharmacy programs in each of the hospitals.
- Oversee the clinical operation, capital management, and income statements in support of system goals and objectives.
- Defines a mission and vision for pharmacy services and develops communication goals and objectives that align with McLeod’s mission, vision, and values and strategic plan.
- Coordinates corporate compliance with pharmacy practice laws and guidelines developed by the South Carolina Board of Pharmacy, DHEC, DEA, FDA, Joint Commission, CMS, DNV, and regulatory bodies.
- Continuously review the medication use system and advocates for innovative clinical pharmacy services and technologies that will improve patient care and efficient use of pharmacy resources.
- Coordinates formularies between facilities with a goal of reaching a system-level formulary.
- Work to troubleshoot, and solve, pharmacy-related issues in Epic deployment and optimization phases.
- Work with the hospital Pharmacy Directors to look for staffing coordination which would include sharing of services between facilities.
- Coordination of policies and procedures between facilities with a goal of achieving system-level policies and procedures and is a resource for physicians and pharmacists dedicated to drug policy activities.
- Participates and supports the activities of the medication safety team
- Review and maintain expertise on legislative matters, competitive practices, external events, and trends affecting operations and patient care.
- Coordinates/directs pharmacy involvement with 340B, pharmacy benefits, charge master, and assure compliance in pharmacy operations.
- Oversee pharmacy residency program and work to recruit and retain high-quality candidates.
- Supervises interdisciplinary leadership for survey readiness to assure health system compliance with regulations and policies.
- Demonstrates commitment to performance improvement through coordination of process improvement methodologies/projects through interdisciplinary leadership.
- Work to implement continuous improvement in medication safety particularly in high-risk transitions such as with medication reconciliations and with known high-risk medications.
McLeod has a matrixed leadership structure given the variety of settings corporate leaders serve. This is a Vice President level role who would report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and will serve as the corporate leader for pharmacy operations. Director-level pharmacy leaders will report to the Vice President of Pharmacy Services. For hospital pharmacy directors, they will have a matrixed relationship with their hospital CEOs in the following fashion:
Corporate Leader: Vice President of Pharmacy Services
Local Leader: Pharmacy Director
Administrator: Hospital CEO
- Baccalaureate degree or PharmD. Degree from an accredited school of pharmacy, required
- Current and unrestricted license to practice pharmacy in the state of South Carolina, required
- Master’s degree, preferred
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, team building ability, organizational skills
- Minimum of five years of health-system related experience as either a director of pharmacy or related pharmacy management experience, required
Licenses and/or Certifications:
- Current, unrestricted license to practice pharmacy in the state of South Carolina
Physical Requirements: Refer to Occupational Risk Assessment
Florence, SC, United States