Patient Financial Coordinator
Job Responsibilities and Expectations
- Superior knowledge of insurance payers and medical terminology including clinical documentation, ICD-10 code(s) and CPT code(s).
- Proactively completing assigned pool of patients initiating and finalizing the authorization with the patient payer(s). This includes submitting authorization requests via telephone, facsimile or via the payer web portals.
- Detailed documentation of all patients worked including Caller ID, if applicable, validity dates, the authorization number, if pending/explanation or denied/explanation.
- Should authorization be denied, proactive outreach to Scheduling and/or facility Financial Counselor so patient can be rescheduled and/or financial terms discussed.
- Excellent follow thru ensuring that patients with pending authorizations are checked again next business day and thereafter until the authorization is secured.
- Willingly assists others to ensure all patients are worked in a timely manner at least 5 business days prior to date of service.
- Proactively investigates and researches issues at a high level to ensure the patient has been financially vetted thereby ensuring patient satisfaction and hospital reimbursement.
- Engages the physician practices, when needed, if peer-to-peer is required or additional clinical documentation is needed by payer.
- Maintains a professional image and exhibits excellent customer relations to patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers in accordance with our Service Excellence Standards and Core Values.
- Scope of work supports McLeod Health Florence, Cheraw, Clarendon, Dillon, Loris, Seacoast, and Carolina Forest.
- Minimum 2 years data entry/computer experience
- Advanced knowledge of Windows based computer systems
- Written and verbal communication skills with persons of all ages and diverse backgrounds
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in call center, medical office, or insurance related field
- Experience with Schedule Maximizer, Order Facilitator, ECW, eCareNext and Cerner
- Problem solving and performance improvement skills
- Revenue Cycle knowledge and the understanding of how this work impacts such
- Minimum of a High School Diploma/GED from an accredited school
Physical Requirements: Refer to Occupational Risk Assessment
Florence, SC, United States