Registered Nurse- Surgery II (Days)
Sign-on Bonus up to $20,000 for Experienced RN
$10,000 Sign-on Bonus for New Grads
- Maintains a professional image and exhibits excellent customer relations to patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers in accordance with our Service Excellence Standards and Core Values.
- Assesses needs of the Surgery II Unit patients as assigned based on data collected through history, observation, physical examination, and analysis of diagnostic data.
- Plans individualized nursing care to meet the holistic age specific needs of patients.
- Provides appropriate nursing interventions, consistent with the Plan of Care and standards of practice, incorporating the Physician’s prescribed medical plans of care.
- Demonstrates competency in, but not limited to, the following on the Surgery II Unit (refer to McLeod Health Nursing Competencies A, B, and C):
- Following all new hire expectations for, but not limited to, the Surgery II Unit.
- Following unit expectations around scheduling.
- Emergency Management: Fire Safety, Evacuation, Environment of Care, Hazardous Materials/Safety Data Sheets, Emergency Codes, Security Alerts, and Survey Readiness.
- Identifying resources, understanding the role of the resource(s), and the ability to contact the resource for needs of the unit: Patient Care Supervisor (PCS), Clinical Nurse Manager (CNM), Nurse Educator, Equipment/House Tech, Nursing Supervisor, Patient Representative, Guest House, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Pastoral Services, Nutrition Services (Dietician), PICC Team, Documentation Integrity Specialist, RN Case Manager, Social Worker, Pharmacy, Palliative Care, Diabetes Educator, and Security.
- Patient Satisfaction Initiatives: Hourly Rounds, GET IT scripting, Service Recovery, and Communication Boards
- Performing Patient Safety Initiatives including: Patient Identification, Effective Communication, Labeled Specimens, Clinical Alarms, Healthcare Related Infections, and Universal Protocol.
- Initiating Core Measures (Online Ticket to Ride): Definition, Documentation, Nursing responsibilities, Admission/Discharge.
- Carrying out Physician’s Orders: Illegibility Expectations/Unapproved Abbreviations, Telephone/Verbal Orders, Acknowledging Orders, Reviewing Standing Orders and Order Sets, Scanning to Pharmacy, and Review of ED Record
- Utilizing the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) for: Census/assigning patients; Computer Provider Order Entry (CPOE); Ongoing Review and Acknowledgement of new orders; Verifying and completing orders; Review results, labs, Clinical Summary, and dictations; and Critical Results.
- Nursing Handoff in Care/Bedside Report: Nursing Expectations, Document review, Review completing patient handoff, and Hemodialysis consent and handoff in care.
- Completing Procedural Paperwork: Consent form, Rite Site Form/Procedure, Pre Procedure Checklist, Time out, Post Procedural Care & Documentation, and Verbalizes the importance of pre/post op care and education.
- Maintaining Patient Privacy with the Patient Record/Patient Information: HIPAA, Security of medical records, Patient Safety, Plan-of-Care, Education Assessment, and RN versus LPN Nursing Responsibilities.
- Providing Patient Education: Lexicomp Patient Education Leaflets, Patient Education/Discharge Folder, Accesses patient education channels at bedside, Teach back methodology, and Nursing Reference Center.
- Utilizes Downtime Toolkit when applicable.
- Completing Patient Admission(s), Discharge(s), and Transfer(s) in accordance to policies and procedures.
- Reconciling and Administering Patient Medication in accordance to policies and procedures.
- Utilizing standard work for: Venipunctures, Blood Cultures, Blood Bank Bandings, and Capillary Collections.
- Administering Blood and Blood products in accordance to policies and procedures.
- Performs Waived Testing in accordance to policy and procedure.
- Utilizing Improve the Process.
- Applying and Documenting Patient Restraints and Seclusion in accordance to policy and procedure.
- Utilizing and performing Code Management: Crash Cart/Rapid Response/End of Life.
- Performing and documenting full systems assessments, shift assessment, and shift re-assessment in accordance with policies and procedures for all patient body systems.
- Utilizing Infection Control Precautions: Airborne, Droplet, Aplasia Precautions, and Contact I, II, and III as well as performing appropriate donning and doffing.
- Caring for patients with, but not limited to, the following unit specific needs and/or conditions: Daily Patient Ambulation, ERAS, Gastric drains, nephrostomy tubes, G tube, J tube, Continuous Bladder Irrigation (CBI) Bladder scanner, Urology supplies, Epidural Catheters, Lift Equipment, CHG Baths, Chest tube dressing changes, and Wound Vacs.
- Performing Preventative care for Hospital Acquired Conditions, including but not limited to: Falls, CAUTI, and CLABSI
- Using service excellence standards, conducts Hourly Rounds.
- Fosters an environment that demonstrates caring, compassion, and respect for all patients, families, and visitors.
- Utilizes appropriate health and safety equipment to protect both patient and staff.
- Utilizes standard work in caring for central lines, foley catheters, pressure ulcers, ventilators, restraints, and patients at risk for falls.
- Contributes to the daily efficient performance of the Surgery II Unit, as charge nurse when assigned.
- Contributes to the overall performance of the Surgery II Unit through the precepting of novice employees.
- Contributes to the growth and performance of the Surgery II Unit through hospital-system initiatives cultivating nursing involved Evidenced Based Practices.
- Demonstrates continued professional growth through setting goals and participating in educational offerings.
- Will float to assist in other like units as needed.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- 72hrs biweekly; straight days with every other weekend and holidays. Call is required.
- Graduate from an accredited registered nursing program
- Must possess a valid SC license – RN, BLS
Florence, SC, United States